Meeting Rooms Guide
Meetings are the lifeblood of the business world and if you don’t have a dedicated professional space to hold them, you may need to hire a meeting room as an alternative. If you’ve never used one before, or want to find out how they can help your business, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about them below.
WHAT IS A MEETING ROOM?
A meeting room is a space designed to host people - typically businesses - who wish to hold a meeting. It can exist in co-working, serviced or traditional offices, or be hired individually depending on the provider. While businesses tend to be the main users of meeting rooms, they can be used by anyone wanting to use a private room to hold an important discussion.
Meeting rooms come in all shapes and sizes and the facilities available will depend on the provider and package you are paying for. They are accessible to all types of businesses, from start-ups looking to make an impression, to salespeople at corporations pitching to new clients.
WHY HIRE A MEETING ROOM?
The advantages you can enjoy by hiring a meeting room can help your business in a number of ways:
- Improved image: Rather than meeting in a coffee shop or at your client’s office, inviting them to meet in a professional environment will demonstrate your capabilities as a business and how much you value your relationship. It also means there are no distractions which allows you to both focus entirely on the matter at hand.
- Security and privacy: If you are due to discuss a sensitive topic then a meeting room is the perfect setting. No uninvited guests will be able to overhear your discussion and it allows you to talk about the subject freely without fear of important information leaking out.
- Support services: Hiring a meeting room will give you access to AV equipment and power connections, so you can use laptops, projectors etc. and show presentations if required. Having access to these tools can make all the difference to your business when trying to pitch to an important client, especially when you are just starting out.
- Prestigious location: Being able to invite clients to a meeting room located in a prestigious location will instantly make an impression and tell them something positive about you and the business.
- Working space: There will usually be a range of different sized meeting rooms made available by the provider, which is reflected in the price. If you are hosting to more than one person, or are due to be in a long meeting, you can book a larger space that allows ample leg room so people do not become tired or feel constricted.
It is hard to define what is included in a meeting room as the basic facilities can vary depending on the size of the space and the provider. While all of the below won’t be included as standard, you should expect some of these to be provided:
- Tables and chairs
- Phone charge sockets
- HDMI connections
- Coffee, tea and water provisions
- Flipchart and stand/Whiteboard
- Projector and screen
- Conference speakers
When making an enquiry about hiring a meeting room, be sure to ask about the basics included within the package and what sort of chargeable extras are available so you can weigh up your budget.
WHAT SHOULD I CONSIDER WHEN SEARCHING FOR A MEETING ROOM?
Not all meeting rooms are made equal and there are some important elements to look out for that will help to make the time spent there a far more positive experience.
- Location: Depending on where the client is travelling from, it helps to make it as convenient for them as possible. You may agree to a location that is somewhere central for you both, or be willing to accommodate something nearby for them. Remember, while you may be willing to travel a long distance to meet an important client, the feeling may not be mutual. Consider how far they have to travel and the impact it can have on how they feel when they arrive at the meeting room.
- Use of space: Your budget will dictate the size of meeting room you can hire, but even if it is not as large as you’d like, making efficient use of the space is important. You should be able to reconfigure the furniture as required in the meeting room to suit. Having comfortable seating will also make a big difference for meetings that are set to last for some time.
- Good lighting: A room illuminated with natural lighting is the best option, so look for any obstructions outside of windows that may darken the space as the day draws on. Sometimes you have no option but to use artificial lighting and in this scenario the more subtle it is the better. Harsh artificial lighting can add to fatigue, so you want to create the right atmosphere for attendees.
- Technology support: If your meeting hinges on a presentation, or the use of technology, you want to make sure you have the right power connections and/or access to the sort of equipment you will need. This also includes basics like good Wi-Fi coverage – if your meeting relies on technology of any kind and the available facilities aren’t up to scratch, you don’t want to be caught short.
- Interior design: The atmosphere of the meeting is room is dictated by space, lighting and décor. Most rooms will be painted a neutral colour – white or cream for example – but for the more creative types you might want to look for something a little more inspiring. Especially if you are due to spend some time in the room.
HOW DO I PAY FOR A MEETING ROOM?
Payment terms for meeting rooms will depend on the provider and how the room has been hired. In most cases you will have the option to hire by the hour, half-day or on a full-day rate. Prices will be determined by the size of room, length of time you need it for and facilities provided. They are available as and when needed, although it always pays to book well in advance to ensure you can secure the date and time you want.
Looking for a meeting room? At Prime Office Search we have a variety of flexible meeting rooms available to suit all business sizes and requirements. Browse our meeting rooms online or call us on 08004337888 and one of our experienced consultants will help you find the ideal meeting room for your business.